NFS interaction with RBD

We've had a an NFS gateway serving up RBD images successfully for over a year. Ubuntu 12.04 and ceph .73 iirc.

In the past couple of weeks we have developed a problem where the nfs clients hang while accessing exported rbd containers.

We see errors on the server about nfsd hanging for 120sec etc.

The nfs server is still able to successfully interact with the images it is serving. We can export non rbd shares from the local file system and nfs clients can use them just fine.

There seems to be something weird going on with rbd and nfs kernel modules.

Our ceph pool is in a warn state due to an osd rebalance that is continuing slowly. But the fact that we continue to have good rbd image access directly on the server makes me think this is not related.  Also the nfs server is only a client of the pool, it doesnt participate in it.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

We do have a lot of images attached to the server but he issue is there even when we map only a few.

Thanks for any pointers.

~jpr