Re: QEMU Venom Vulnerability

On 05/21/2015 02:36 PM, Brad Hubbard wrote:

If that's correct then starting from there and building a new RPM with RBD support is the proper way of updating. Correct?

I guess there are two ways to approach this.

1. use the existing ceph source rpm here.

http://ceph.com/packages/ceph-extras/rpm/centos6/SRPMS/qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.415.el6.3ceph.src.rpm

[...]
2. use the latest Centos/Red Hat src rpm and add the ceph patches to its source tree and Patch lines to its spec file as well as the optional pkgrelease and
[...]

What I've been doing in my cluster is pickup the RHEV (version 6 or 7 as needed) qemu source RPM and use them. It is quite simple really:

- install & configure rpmbuild. There are numerous howtos for this.
- fetch and install qemu source rpm from RHEV. Google around and grab latest version. eg. for CentOS 7 (RHEV 7 based) I found them here: http://springdale.math.ias.edu/data/RedHat/enterprise/7Server/en/RHEV/SRPMS/qemu-kvm-rhev-2.1.2-23.el7_1.3.src.rpm - rpmbuild -ba the spec file, it will probably complain about missing development packages. Satisfy them - rpmbuild again, wait, grab the resulting binary rpms from the RPMS/<arch> folder and distribute them as needed.

On occasion, you may need to tweak the spec file a bit. For example, the above RHEV 7 srpm required librbd1-devel and librados-devel which have been consolidated in ceph-devel. Just commenting out the requirement and having ceph-devel installed allowed the build to proceed. But these fixes are trivial.

Cheers,

-K.