Re: Write freeze when writing to rbd image and rebooting one of the nodes

On Wed, 13 May 2015, Vasiliy Angapov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I've managed to find out that correct stop of osd causes no IO
> downtime (/etc/init.d/ceph stop osd). But that cannot be called a fault
> tolerance, which Ceph is supposed to be.However, "killall -9 ceph-osd"
> causes IO to stop for about 20 seconds.
>
> I've tried lowering some timeouts but without luck. Here is a related part
> of my ceph.conf after lowering the timeout values:
>
> [global]
> heartbeat interval = 5
> mon osd down out interval = 90
> mon pg warn max per osd = 2000
> mon osd adjust heartbeat grace = false
>
> [client]
> rbd cache = false
>
> [mon]
> mon clock drift allowed = .200
> mon osd min down reports = 1
>
> [osd]
> osd heartbeat interval = 3
> osd heartbeat grace = 5
>
> Can you help me to reduce IO downtime somehow? Because 20 seconds for
> production is just horrible.

You'll need to restart ceph-osd daemons for that change to take effect, or

 ceph tell osd.\* injectargs '--osd-heartbeat-grace 5 --osd-heartbeat-interval 1'

Just remember that this timeout is a tradeoff against false positives--be
careful tuning it too low.

Note that ext4 going ro after 5 seconds sounds like insanity to me.  I've
only seen this with older guest kernels, and iirc the problem is a
120s timeout with ide or something?

Ceph is a CP system that trades availability for consistency--it will
block IO as needed to ensure that it is handling reads or writes in a
completely consistent manner.  Even if you get the failure detection
latency down, other recovery scenarios are likely to cross the magic 5s
threshold at some point and cause the same problem.  You need to fix your
guests one way or another!

sage