Need help with synchronizing ceph mons

Hi,

I have some problems with my ceph monitor nodes in my Cluster.

I had 5 mons in the cluster. On all 5 nodes the leveldb store grew up to about 80 – 90 GB in size. To get rid of it I triggerd a compaction with the following command on one node.

  ceph tell mon.d compact

The Monitor compacted his data to about 5 GB. After this the mon tried to synchronize his data with the other mons. And start my problems.

After a short time (20 – 30 sec) of streaming data from another mon node The stream breaks and further the sender reads oviously all the other data in his store with maximum speed. At this point the cluster lost his leader and trying to elect a new one. The leader election only works if the reading of the data is done.

I tried to remove the mon from the cluster completly and rejoin it as a new one but while syncing I experience the same issue. So currently the cluster has only 4 Mons.

While further investigation and testing I lost another mon which wants to sync data after starting with the same behavior.

It seems the Node which streams data while syncing is in stress with reading and sending data. I tried to limit the network bandwith of the joining node to reduce the load. I also tried to set ionice -c3 on the process which does all the disk IO while reading. But nothing helped.

Because the cluster is productive I don't want to expermient further more without knowing what's going on.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on and how I can try to fix this?

I am using ceph version 0.67.11 (bc8b67bef6309a32361be76cd11fb56b057ea9d2)
5 Monitor Nodes with SSD as leveldb store
24 OSD Hosts with 1416 OSDs

Thank you
Manuel

--
Manuel Lausch

Systemadministrator
Cloud Backend Services

1&1 Mail & Media Development  & Technology GmbH | Brauerstraße 48 | 76135 Karlsruhe | Germany
Phone: +49 721 91374-1847
E-Mail: manuel.lausch@xxxxxxxx | Web: www.1und1.de

Amtsgericht Montabaur, HRB 5452

Geschäftsführer: Frank Einhellinger, Hans-Henning Kettler, Jan Oetjen

Member of United Internet

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder gesetzlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, unterrichten Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Anderen als dem bestimmungsgemäßen Adressaten ist untersagt, diese E-Mail zu speichern, weiterzuleiten oder ihren Inhalt auf welche Weise auch immer zu verwenden.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that saving, distribution or use of the content of this e-mail in any way is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail.