De: "Межов Игорь Александрович" <megov@xxxxxxxxxx>
À: "ceph-users" <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Envoyé: Mardi 5 Mai 2015 13:09:48
Objet:  Turning on rbd cache safely

Hi!

After examining our running OSD configuration through an admin socket
we suddenly noticed, that "rbd_cache" parameter is set to "false". Till
that moment, I suppose, that rbd cache is entirly client-side feature,
and it is enabled with "cache=writeback" parameter in libvirt VM xml
definition. Now I think, that I'm wrong.

I plan to do this steps:

1. Add group of rbd cache parameters to master ceph.conf:
[client]
rbd cache = true
rbd cache writethrough until flush = true
rbd cache size = <256-1024Mb>
rbd cache max dirty = <0.5-0.75*rbd_cache_size>

2. Push config to all nodes:
ceph-deploy push config <nodeNN>

3. Set "noout" to cluster and restart all OSDs one-by-one, than change
back "noout".

4. Check config od running OSDs through admin socket

So, is that right and safe way to turn on rbd cache on a running prodction
cluster?

Do I need to specify the same rbd cache parameters on client hosts,
running VMs with librbd backend?

PS: We use Firefly 0.80.7 on Debian Wheezy x86_64, 5 nodes, 58 OSDs,
journals on SSD.

Thanks for your answers!

Megov Igor
CIO Yuterra