Re: Ceph migration to AWS

On Mon, 4 May 2015 11:21:12 -0700 Kyle Bader wrote:

> > To those interested in a tricky problem,
> >
> > We have a Ceph cluster running at one of our data centers. One of our
> > client's requirements is to have them hosted at AWS. My question is:
> > How do we effectively migrate our data on our internal Ceph cluster to
> > an AWS Ceph cluster?
> >
> > Ideas currently on the table:
> >
> > 1. Build OSDs at AWS and add them to our current Ceph cluster. Build
> > quorum at AWS then sever the connection between AWS and our data
> > center.
>
> I would highly discourage this.

Indeed, lest latency eat your babies and all that.

> > 2. Build a Ceph cluster at AWS and send snapshots from our data center
> > to our AWS cluster allowing us to "migrate" to AWS.
>
> This sounds far more sensible. I'd look at the I2 (iops) or D2
> (density) class instances, depending on use case.

It might still be a fools errand, take a look at the recent/current thread
here called "long blocking with writes on rbds".

I'd make 200% sure that AWS is a platform that Ceph can be operated on
"normally" before going ahead with any production level projects.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/