Re: Cache Pool PG Split

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, Nick Fisk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When trying to increase the number of PG's of a cache pool I get the warning
> message about running a scrub afterwards and being careful about not
> overfilling the pool. I've also looked at this issue to better understand
> the underlying cause: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/8043
>
> Am I best to lower the target_max_bytes and minimising IO prior to doing the
> PG split to avoid filling the pool? Is there anything else I should be aware
> of?

It depends on how quickly to expect it to fill up.  If your disks are
close to full, then yeah, give yourself some extra space.

The OSDs will automatically trigger an immediate scrub of the split PGs,
so the window shouldn't be too long.  Try doing a small split (increase
pg_num by 1) and see how long it takes the PG to split and scrub.

sage