ceph-crush-location + SSD detection ?

Hi,

I’ve seen and read a few things about ceph-crush-location and I think that’s what I need.

What I need (want to try) is : a way to have SSDs in non-dedicated hosts, but also to put those SSDs in a dedicated ceph root.

From what I read, using ceph-crush-location, I could add a hostname with a SSD suffix in case the tool is called against a SSD… thing is : I must make sure this is a SSD, and this is where coding and experimenting comes.

Hence, I’d like to know if someone would have an already working implementation that would detect if the OSD is a SSD, and if so, append a string to the hostname ?

I’m for instance wondering when this tool is called, if the OSD is already mounted (or should have been…), what happens at boot …

I know I can get the OSD mountpoint using something like that on a running OSD :

#ceph --format xml --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.0.asok config get osd_data|sed -e 's|./osd_data.*||;s|.*osd_data.||'

/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-0

I know I can find out if this is a disk or a SSD using for instance this :

[root@ceph0 ~]# cat /sys/block/sdy/queue/rotational

0

[root@ceph0 ~]# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational

1

So I just have to associate the mountpoint with the device… provided OSD is mounted when the tool is called.

Anyone willing to share experience with ceph-crush-location ?

Thanks