Re: norecover and nobackfill

Hi,

Robert LeBlanc wrote:

> What I'm trying to achieve is minimal data movement when I have to service
> a node to replace a failed drive. [...]

I will perhaps say something stupid but it seems to me that it's the
goal of the "noout" flag, isn't it?

1. ceph osd set noout
2. an old OSD disk failed, no rebalancing of data because noout is set, the cluster is just degraded.
3. You remove of the cluster the OSD daemon which used the old disk.
4. You power off the host and replace the old disk by a new disk and you restart the host.
5. You create a new OSD on the new disk.

With these steps, there will be no movement of data. Only during the step 5
where the data will be recreated in the new disk (but it's normal and desired).

Sorry in advance if there is something I'm missing in your problem.
Regards.

--
François Lafont