installing and updating while leaving osd drive data intact

Referencing this old thread below, I am wondering what is the proper way
to install say new versions of ceph and start up daemons but keep
all the data on the osd drives.

I had been using ceph-deploy new which I guess creates a new cluster fsid.
Normally for my testing I had been starting with clean osd drives but
I would also like to be able to restart and leave the osd drives as is.

-- Tom