Re: New Intel 750 PCIe SSD

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thought folks might like to see this:
>
> http://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-750-series-nvme-pci-express-solid-state-drive-review
>
> Quick summary:
>
> - PCIe SSD based on the P3700
> - 400GB for $389!
> - 1.2GB/s writes and 2.4GB/s reads
> - power loss protection
> - 219TB write endurance
>
> So basically looks extremely attractive on paper except for the write
> endurance.  I suspect this is not actually using HET cells (a summary I read
> said it was).  How far beyond Intel's endurance rating the card can go is
> the big question.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed
"The firmware is also configured to allocate 8-9% of the drive's total
flash capacity to overprovisioned area. That's similar to the
overprovisioning in typical consumer drives but less than the ~25% set
aside by the P3700."
"The chips weigh in at 16GB apiece, and they're a lower grade than the
top-shelf bin reserved for the P3700."
"(The Intel 335 Series in our SSD Endurance Experiment wrote over
700TB before hitting that media wear threshold.) When the NAND's
limits are reached, the 750 Series is designed to slip into a "logical
disable" mode that throttles write speeds severely enough to produce
an effective read-only state. Intel's other consumer SSDs are
programmed to brick themselves at the next reboot, preventing users
from accessing their data. The 750 Series instead emulates its
enterprise counterparts, which remain in read-only mode through
subsequent reboots."

That 335 series they're referring to had a rated lifetime of 22TB. I
suspect they're using different rules for this new one — but it should
still go a loooong way!
-Greg