Snapshots and fstrim with cache tiers ?

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding snapshots and fstrim with cache tiers.

In the "cache tier and erasure coding FAQ" related to ICE 1.2 (based on Firefly), Inktank says "Snapshots are not supported in conjunction with cache tiers."

What are the risks of using snapshots with cache tiers ? Would this "better not use it recommandation" still be true with Giant or Hammer ?

Regarding the fstrim command, it doesn't seem to work with cache tiers. The freed up blocks don't get back in the ceph cluster.
Can someone confirm this ? Is there something we can do to get those freed up blocks back in the cluster ?

Also, can we run an fstrim task from the cluster side ? That is, without having to map and mount each rbd image or rely on the client to operate this task ?

Best regards,

--

Frédéric Nass

Sous-direction Infrastructures