Re: SSD Hardware recommendation

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:59:14 +0100 Josef Johansson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On 18 Mar 2015, at 05:29, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 03:52:22 +0100 Josef Johansson wrote:

[snip]
> >> We though of doing a cluster with 3 servers, and any recommendation of
> >> supermicro servers would be appreciated.
> >>
> > Why 3, replication of 3?
> > With Intel SSDs and diligent (SMART/NAGIOS) wear level monitoring I'd
> > personally feel safe with a replication factor of 2.
> >
> I’ve seen recommendations  of replication 2!  The Intel SSDs are indeed
> endurable. This is only with Intel SSDs I assume?

>From the specifications and reviews I've seen the Samsung 845DC PRO, the
SM 843T and even more so the SV843
(http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/flash-ssd/overview
don't you love it when the same company has different, competing
products?) should do just fine when it comes to endurance and performance.
Alas I have no first hand experience with either, just the
(read-optimized) 845DC EVO.

> This 1U
> http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/system/1U/1028/SYS-1028U-TR4T_.cfm
> <http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/system/1U/1028/SYS-1028U-TR4T_.cfm>
> is really nice, missing the SuperDOM peripherals though..
While I certainly see use cases for SuperDOM, not all models have 2
connectors, so no chance to RAID1 things, thus the need to _definitely_
have to pull the server out (and re-install the OS) should it fail.

> so you really
> get 8 drives if you need two for OS. And the rails.. don’t get me
> started, but lately they do just snap into the racks! No screws needed.
> That’s a refresh from earlier 1U SM rails.

Ah, the only 1U servers I'm currently deploying from SM are older ones, so
still no snap-in rails. Everything 2U has been that way for at least 2
years, though. ^^

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/