CephFS unexplained writes

Hi,

I am getting relatively bad performance from cephfs. I use a replicated
cache pool on ssd in front of an erasure coded pool on rotating media.

When reading big files (streaming video), I see a lot of disk i/o,
especially writes. I have no clue what could cause these writes. The
writes are going to the hdd's and they stop when I stop reading.

I mounted everything with noatime and nodiratime so it shouldn't be
that. On a related note, the Cephfs metadata is stored on ssd too, so
metadata-related changes shouldn't hit the hdd's anyway I think.

Any thoughts? How can I get more information about what ceph is doing?
Using iotop I only see that the osd processes are busy but it doesn't
give many hints as to what they are doing.

Thanks,

Erik.