Re: Mapping users to different rgw pools

Yes, the placement target feature is logically separate from multi-zone setups.  Placement targets are configured in the region though, which somewhat muddies the issue.

Placement targets are useful feature for multi-zone, so different zones in a cluster don't share the same disks.  Federation setup is the only place I've seen any discussion about the topic.  Even that is just a brief mention.  I didn't see any documentation directly talking about setting up placement targets, even in the federation guides.

It looks like you'll need to edit the default region to add the placement targets, but you won't need to setup zones.  As far as I can tell, You'll have to piece together what you need from the federation setup and some experimentation.  I highly recommend a test VM that you can experiment on before attempting anything in production.