OS file Cache, Ceph RBD cache and Network files systems

Hi Cephers,

Our university could deploy ceph. The goal is to store datas for research laboratories (non-HPC). To do this, we plan to use Ceph with RBD (mount block device) from a NFS (or CIFS) server (ceph client) to workstations in laboratories. According to our tests, the OS (ubuntu or centos...) that map the RBD block implements file system write cache (vm.dirty_ratio, etc ...). In that case, the NFS server will always perform writes to workstations whereas it has not finished writing datas to Ceph cluster - and regardless of whether the RBD cache is enabled or not in the config [client] section.

My questions:
  1. Does the activation of RBD cache is useful only when it combines Virtuals Machnies (where QEMU can access an image as a virtual block device directly via librbd) ?
  2. Is it common to use Ceph, with RBD to share network file systems ?
  3. And if so, what are the recommendations concerning the OS cache ?
Thanks a lot.
Stephane.

--
Université de Lorraine
Stéphane DUGRAVOT - Direction du numérique - Infrastructure