From: Sebastien Han <sebastien.han@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:44:43
To: <charlesboyo@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Sparse RBD instance snapshots in OpenStack

Several patches aim to solve that by using RBD snapshots instead of QEMU snapshots.
Unfortunately I doubt we will have something ready for OpenStack Juno.
Hopefully Liberty will be the release that fixes that.

Having RAW images is not that bad since booting from that snapshot will do a clone.
So not sure if doing sparsify a good idea (libguestfs should be able to do that).
However it’s better we could do that via RBD snapshots so we can have best of both worlds.

> On 12 Mar 2015, at 03:45, Charles 'Boyo <charlesboyo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello all.
>
> The current behavior of snapshotting instances RBD-backed in OpenStack involves uploading the snapshot into Glance.
>
> The resulting Glance image is fully allocated, causing an explosion of originally sparse RAW images. Is there a way to preserve the sparseness? Else I can use qemu-img convert (or rbd export/import) to manually sparsify it?
>
> On a related note, my Glance is also backed by the same Ceph cluster, in another pool and I was wondering if Ceph snapshots would not be a better way to do this. Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

Cheers.
––––
Sébastien Han
Cloud Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
Mail: sebastien.han@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris
Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance