Re: Firefly Tiering

Hi Stefan,

If the majority of your hot data fits on the cache tier you will see quite a
marked improvement in read performance and similar write performance
(assuming you would have had your hdds backed by SSD journals).

However for data that is not in the cache tier you will get 10-20% less read
performance and anything up to 10x less write performance. This is because a
cache write miss has to read the entire object from the backing store into
the cache and then modify it.

The read performance degradation will probably be fixed in Hammer with proxy
reads, but writes will most likely still be an issue.

Nick