Re: Firefly, cephfs issues: different unix rights depending on the client and ls are slow

Hello,

Thanks to Jcsp (John Spray I guess) that helps me on IRC.

On 06/03/2015 04:04, Francois Lafont wrote:

>> ~# mkdir /cephfs
>> ~# mount -t ceph 10.0.2.150,10.0.2.151,10.0.2.152:/ /cephfs/ -o name=cephfs,secretfile=/etc/ceph/ceph.client.cephfs.secret
>>
>> Then in ceph-testfs, I do:
>>
>> root@test-cephfs:~# mkdir /cephfs/d1
>> root@test-cephfs:~# ll /cephfs/
>> total 4
>> drwxr-xr-x  1 root root    0 Mar  4 11:45 ./
>> drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Mar  4 11:42 ../
>> drwxr-xr-x  1 root root    0 Mar  4 11:45 d1/
>>
>> After, in test-cephfs2, I do:
>>
>> root@test-cephfs2:~# ll /cephfs/
>> total 4
>> drwxr-xr-x  1 root root    0 Mar  4 11:45 ./
>> drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Mar  4 11:42 ../
>> drwxrwxrwx  1 root root    0 Mar  4 11:45 d1/
>>
>> 1) Why the unix rights of d1/ are different when I'm in test-cephfs
>> and when I'm in test-cephfs2? It should be the same, isn't it?

In fact, this problem is (maybe) a bug in the Linux kernel ceph
client version "3.16". Indeed, if I mount the cephfs with ceph-fuse
on the 2 client nodes, the problem doesn't happen and if I mount the
cephfs with "mount.ceph" but with the Linux kernel 3.13, the problem
doesn't happen too. I have made a bug report here :

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11059

>> 2) If I create 100 files in /cephfs/d1/ with test-cephfs:
>>
>> for i in $(seq 100)
>> do
>>     echo "$(date +%s.%N)" >/cephfs/d1/f_$i
>> done
>>
>> sometimes, in test-cephfs2, when I do a simple:
>>
>> root@test-cephfs2:~# time \ls -la /cephfs
>
> Sorry error of copy and paste, of course it was:
>
> root@test-cephfs2:~# time \ls -la /cephfs/d1/
>
>> the command can take 2 or 3 seconds which seems to me very long
>> for a directory with just 100 files. Generally, if I repeat the
>> command on test-cephfs2 just after, it's immediate but not always.
>> I can not reproduce the problem in a determinist way. Sometimes,
>> to reproduce the problem, I must remove all the files in /cephfs/
>> on test-cepfs and recreate them. It's very strange. Sometimes and
>> randomly, something seems to be stalled but I don't know what. I
>> suspect a problem of mds tuning but, In fact, I don't know what
>> to do.
>
> I have the same problem with hammer too.
> But someone can confirm me that 3s (not always) for "ls -la" in
> a cephfs directory which contains 100 file it's pathological? After
> all, maybe is it normal? I don't have much experience with cephfs.

In fact, according to what I was told on IRC, a such time for the
"ls -la" command could be normal because the client node requests
a "stat" for each file in the directory and each "stat" can take
a little time. But I'm still a little puzzled. Indeed the first
"ls -la" can take 2 or 3 seconds and the next "ls -la" is usually
faster but not always. Sometimes (it's very random), the second
"ls -la", even the third "ls -la" etc. can be very slow. I admit
that after a number of attempts, "ls -la" becomes faster but not
always from the second attempt.

I'm still surprised by such times. For instance, It seems to me
that, with a mounted nfs share, commands like "ls -la" are very
fast in comparison (with a directory which contains the same number
of files). Can anyone explain to me why there is a such difference
between the nfs case and the cephfs case? This is absolutely not a
criticism but it's just to understand the concepts that come into
play. In the case of "ls -al" ie just reading (it is assumed that
there is no writing on the directory), the nfs and the cephfs cases
seem to me very similar: the client just requests a stat on each file
in the directory. Am I wrong?

--
François Lafont