Re: problem with yum install ceph-deploy command

Hi Khyati,

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 5:18 AM, khyati joshi <kpjoshi91@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello ceph-users,
>
>  I am new to ceph.I am using centos-5.11 (i386) for deploying ceph
> with  and epel-release-5.4.noarch.rpm is sucessfuly installed.

ceph (and ceph-deploy) is not packaged for CentOS 5.  You'll need to use 6 or 7.

> But   running " yum install ceph-deploy" command is giving following error.
>
> ceph-deploy-1.5.21-0.noarch from ceph-noarch has depsolving problem
> -->missing dependencies:  python-distribute is needed by package
> ceph-deploy-1.5.21-0.noarch.

This is Yum saying it can't find a python-distribute package in your
configured repos.  Again, not sure where/if this is available on
CentOS 5.

> then I removed python-argparse and run command " yum install snappy
> leveldb gdisk python-argparse gperftools-libs" and got another error
> as
>
> rpm(lib)(filedigests) needed by python-argparse-1.2.1-2.e16.noarch
> rpmlib(payloadlsxz) needed by python-arg-parse-1.2.1.1-2.e16.noarch.

Not sure why you would remove argparse.  It's required.

>  Main cause of both errors are related with python but dont know how
> to resolve it. Do anyone knows how to sove this error?

While it *may* be possible to get ceph-deploy working on a CentOS 5
box (I would install using pip, pointing to PyPI instead of using
Yum/EPEL for this), it would only be useful as a place to launch
installs on remote machines from. Your best bet is to run a much newer
distribution.

 - Travis