Re: Clustering a few NAS into a Ceph cluster

On 04/03/2015 00:10, Loic Dachary wrote:
Last week-end I discussed with a friend about a use case many of us thought about already: it would be cool to have a simple way to assemble Ceph aware NAS fresh from the store. I summarized the use case and interface we discussed here :

   https://wiki.ceph.com/Clustering_a_few_NAS_into_a_Ceph_cluster

It is far from polished but I hope it will trigger some discussions. The best of comments would be: "wait, that already exists at URL" ;-) But if that's not the case, maybe we can improve it.
I have thought about this occasionally too. The workflow on the link looks about right to me: it would perhaps be not-too-hard to try implementing the workflow as a command line python script, before later looking at bundling it up into something with a UI that would run on a your NAS platform of choice?

It's similar to what big enterprisey vendors try (and usually fail) to build, so that people can have these magic "bricks" of storage that click together. Building an Turnkey Integrated Enterprise Storage Appliance Platform is really hard to do in the general case of multiple networks/strong authentication/environment integration -- however in the simplified single-subnet domestic NAS case I think it's perfectly feasible.

Cheers,
John