Re: Ceph User Teething Problems

On 03/04/15 22:18, John Spray wrote:
> On 04/03/2015 20:27, Datatone Lists wrote:
>> [...] [Please don't mention ceph-deploy]
> This kind of comment isn't very helpful unless there is a specific
> issue with ceph-deploy that is preventing you from using it, and
> causing you to resort to manual steps.

ceph-deploy is a subject I never took the time to give feedback on.

We can't use it (we use Gentoo which isn't supported by ceph-deploy) and
even if we could I probably wouldn't allow it: I believe that for
important pieces of infrastructure like Ceph you have to understand its
inner workings to the point where you can hack your way out in cases of
problems and build tools to integrate them better with your environment
(you can understand one of the reasons why we use Gentoo in production
with other distributions...).
I believe using ceph-deploy makes it more difficult to acquire the
knowledge to do so.
For example we have a script to replace a defective OSD (destroying an
existing one and replacing with a new one) locking data in place as long
as we can to avoid crush map changes to trigger movements until the map
reaches its original state again which minimizes the total amount of
data copied around. It might have been possible to achieve this with
ceph-deploy, but I doubt we would have achieved it as easily (from
understanding the causes of data movements through understanding the osd
identifiers allocation process to implementing the script) if we hadn't
created the OSD by hand repeatedly before scripting some processes.

Last time I searched for documentation on manual configuration it was
much harder to find (mds manual configuration was indeed something I
didn't find at all too).

Best regards,

Lionel