Re: Possibly misleading/outdated documentation about qemu/kvm and rbd cache settings

Hi,

from qemu rbd.c

    if (flags & BDRV_O_NOCACHE) {
        rados_conf_set(s->cluster, "rbd_cache", "false");
    } else {
        rados_conf_set(s->cluster, "rbd_cache", "true");
    }

and
block.c

int bdrv_parse_cache_flags(const char *mode, int *flags)
{
    *flags &= ~BDRV_O_CACHE_MASK;

    if (!strcmp(mode, "off") || !strcmp(mode, "none")) {
        *flags |= BDRV_O_NOCACHE | BDRV_O_CACHE_WB;
    } else if (!strcmp(mode, "directsync")) {
        *flags |= BDRV_O_NOCACHE;
    } else if (!strcmp(mode, "writeback")) {
        *flags |= BDRV_O_CACHE_WB;
    } else if (!strcmp(mode, "unsafe")) {
        *flags |= BDRV_O_CACHE_WB;
        *flags |= BDRV_O_NO_FLUSH;
    } else if (!strcmp(mode, "writethrough")) {
        /* this is the default */
    } else {
        return -1;
    }

    return 0;
}

So rbd_cache is

disabled for cache=directsync|none

and enabled for writethrough|writeback|unsafe

so directsync or none should be safe if guest does not send flush.