Re: OSD on LVM volume

On 24/02/2015 12:49, Joerg Henne wrote:
This seems to work, however, the disks are not listed by 'ceph-disk list'.
Right.  ceph-disk uses GPID partition labels to identify the disks.

Is there a recommended way of running an OSD on top of a LVM volume? What
are the pros and cons of the approaches? Is there a downside to the disks
not being listed by 'ceph-disk list' as per the first approach?

I imagine that without proper partition labels you'll also not get the benefit of e.g. the udev magic that allows plugging OSDs in/out of different hosts. More generally you'll just be in a rather non standard configuration that will confuse anyone working on the host.

Can I ask why you want to use LVM? It is not generally necessary or useful with Ceph: Ceph expects to be fed raw drives.

John