Re: Privileges for read-only CephFS access?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Florian Haas <florian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Oliver Schulz <oschulz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Dear Ceph Experts,
>>>
>>> is it possible to define a Ceph user/key with privileges
>>> that allow for read-only CephFS access but do not allow
>>> write or other modifications to the Ceph cluster?
>>
>> Warning, read this to the end, don't blindly do as I say. :)
>>
>> All you should need to do is define a CephX identity that has only r
>> capabilities on the data pool (assuming you're using a default
>> configuration where your CephFS uses the data and metadata pools):
>>
>> sudo ceph auth get-or-create client.readonly mds 'allow' osd 'allow r
>> pool=data' mon 'allow r'
>>
>> That identity should then be able to mount the filesystem but not
>> write any data (use "ceph-fuse -n client.readonly" or "mount -t ceph
>> -o name=readonly")
>>
>> That said, just touching files or creating them is only a metadata
>> operation that doesn't change anything in the data pool, so I think
>> that might still be allowed under these circumstances.
>
> ...and deletes, unfortunately. :(

If the file being deleted is empty, yes. If the file has any content,
then the removal should hit the data pool before it hits metadata, and
should fail there. No?

>I don't think this is presently a
> thing it's possible to do until we get a much better user auth
> capabilities system into CephFS.
>

>> However, I've just tried the above with ceph-fuse on firefly, and I
>> was able to mount the filesystem that way and then echo something into
>> a previously existing file. After unmounting, remounting, and trying
>> to cat that file, I/O just hangs. It eventually does complete, but
>> this looks really fishy.
>
> This is happening because the CephFS clients don't (can't, really, for
> all the time we've spent thinking about it) check whether they have
> read permissions on the underlying pool when buffering writes for a
> file. I believe if you ran an fsync on the file you'd get an EROFS or
> similar.
> Anyway, the client happily buffers up the writes. Depending on how
> exactly you remount then it might not be able to drop the MDS caps for
> file access (due to having dirty data it can't get rid of), and those
> caps have to time out before anybody else can access the file again.
> So you've found an unpleasant oddity of how the POSIX interfaces map
> onto this kind of distributed system, but nothing unexpected. :)

Oliver's point is valid though; I would be nice if you could somehow
make CephFS read-only to some (or all) clients server side, the way an
NFS ro export does.

Cheers,
Florian