FreeBSD on RBD (KVM)

We've been running some tests to try to determine why our FreeBSD VMs
are performing much worse than our Linux VMs backed by RBD, especially
on writes.

Our current deployment is:
- 4x KVM Hypervisors (QEMU 2.0.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1.6)
- 2x OSD nodes (8x SSDs each, 10Gbit links to hypervisors, pool has 2x
replication across nodes)
- Hypervisors have "rbd_cache enabled"
- All VMs use "cache=none" currently.

In testing we were getting ~30MB/s writes, and ~100MB/s reads on
FreeBSD 10.1.  On Linux VMs we're seeing ~150+MB/s for writes and
reads (dd if=/dev/zero of=output bs=1M count=1024 oflag=direct).

I tested several configurations on both RBD and local SSDs, and the
only time FreeBSD performance was comparable to Linux was with the
following configuration:
- Local SSD
- Qemu cache=writeback
- GPT journaling enabled

We did see some performance improvement (~50MB/s writes instead of
30MB/s) when using cache=writeback on RBD.

I've read several threads regarding cache=none vs cache=writeback.
cache=none is apparently safer for live migration, but cache=writeback
is recommended by Ceph to prevent data loss.  Apparently there was a
patch submitted for Qemu a few months ago to make cache=writeback
safer for live migrations as well: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/2467

Has anyone been successful in getting good performance out of FreeBSD
on RBD?  Is there anything I'm just not thinking of here?