Re: ceph Performance with SSD journal

Hi Chir,
Please fidn my answer below in blue

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Chris Hoy Poy <chris@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sumit,

A couple questions:

What brand/model SSD?
samsung 480G SSD(PM853T) having random write 90K IOPS (4K, 368MBps)

What brand/model HDD?
64GB memory, 300GB SAS HDD (seagate), 10Gb nic

Also how they are connected to controller/motherboard? Are they sharing a bus (ie SATA expander)?
no , They are connected with local Bus not the SATA expander.

RAM?
64GB

Also look at the output of  "iostat -x" or similiar, are the SSDs hitting 100% utilisation?
No, SSD was hitting 2000 iops only.

I suspect that the 5:1 ratio of HDDs to SDDs is not ideal, you now have 5x the write IO trying to fit into a single SSD.
 I have not seen any documented reference to calculate the ratio. Could you suggest one. Here I want to mention that results for 1024K write improve a lot. Problem is with 1024K read and 4k write .

SSD journal 810 IOPS and 810MBps
HDD journal 620 IOPS and 620 MBps

I'll take a punt on it being a SATA connected SSD (most common), 5x ~130 megabytes/second gets very close to most SATA bus limits. If its a shared BUS, you possibly hit that limit even earlier (since all that data is now being written twice out over the bus).

cheers;
\Chris