Re: Selecting between multiple public networks

On 3 February 2015 at 13:54, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/03/2015 03:06 AM, Nick @ Deltaband wrote:
>> Hi Cephers,
>>
>> If there is more than one public network, it possible to tell a client
>> (RBD) which public network to preference?
>>
>> We have a working ceph cluster with a separate public (public1) and
>> cluster network. What i’d like to do is add a new public (public2)
>> network for some newer clients. The new clients and the OSD hosts will
>> have access to public1 and public2. The older clients and the monitors
>> will only have access to public1.
>>
>> On the new clients i've tried setting the "public network" to just be
>> public2, however it seems the monitors point it at the public1 network
>> every time. Is there a way of getting the monitors to provide
>> locations on a specific public network based on the host?
>>

> Nope. The clients never read the public network config setting, only the
> OSDs do.
>
> The clients simply let their kernel handle the routing towards the
> monitors and OSDs. They just want a Layer 3 route to the MON/OSD so they
> can establish a TCP connection.

Thanks. So basically you can't have a single OSD available on multiple
IP networks because the client will use whatever single address is in
the map. So my only options are:

1) As you said, make public1 reachable from public2 via a Layer3 address
2) Set specific OSDs up to be available on public2 for the new clients
3) Don't have two public networks :)