filestore_fiemap and other ceph tweaks

Hi,

I've been looking into increasing the performance of my ceph cluster for openstack that will be moved in production soon. It's a full 1TB SSD cluster with 16 OSD per node over 6 nodes.

As I searched for possible tweaks to implement, I stumbled upon unitedstack's presentation at the openstack paris summit (video : https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-paris-summit-2014/session-videos/presentation/build-a-high-performance-and-high-durability-block-storage-service-based-on-ceph).

Now, before implementing any of the suggested tweaks, I've been reading up on each one. It's not that I don't trust everything that's being said there, but I thought it may be better to inform myself before starting to implement tweaks that may strongly impact the performance and stability of my cluster.

One of the suggested tweaks is to set filestore_fiemap to true. The issue is, after some research, I found that there is a rados block device corruption bug linked to setting that option to true (link: http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg06851.html ). I have not found any trace of that bug being fixed since, despite the mailing list message being fairly old.

Is it safe to set filestore_fiemap to true?

Additionally, if anybody feels like watching the video or reading the presentation (slides are at http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/attachments/pdfUlINnd6l8e.pdf ), what do you think of the part about the other tweaks and the data durability part?

--
Jean-Philippe Méthot