Re: Sizing SSD's for ceph

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:30:41 +0000 Ramakrishna Nishtala (rnishtal) wrote:

> Hi,
> Apologize if something came up before like this.
> Reading archives, it appears that 4 to 5 spinning disks are recommended
> for single SSD.

It all depends on the SSDs and HDDs in question for one (how many HDDs can
that single SSD keep busy) and on the impact you're willing to take in
case of a SSD failure.

> I have two questions on the subject.
>
> *         Some of the links suggest that we should use 'sync writes' to
> really size the journals. If true, then what is journal_aio = true
> means? Does ceph use async IO for journals with this parameter and sync
> write is not a true test for sizing journals?

No idea on that one.

> *         Per my understanding once writes are complete to journal then
> it is read again from the journal before writing to data disk. Does this
> mean, we have to do, not just sync/async writes but also reads
> ( random/seq ? ) in order to correctly size them?

You might want to read this thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg12952.html

Assuming this didn't change (and just looking at my journal SSDs and OSD
HDDs with atop I don't think so) your writes go to the HDDs pretty much in
parallel.

In either case, an SSD that can _write_ fast enough to satisfy your needs
will definitely have no problems reading fast enough.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/