Re: OSD removal rebalancing again

Hello Quenten,
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 02:02:13 +0000 Quenten Grasso wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Ahh yes, The overall host weight changed when removing the OSD as all
> OSD's make up the host weight in turn removal of the OSD then decreased
> the host weight which then triggered the rebalancing.

Indeed.

> I guess it would have made more sense if setting the osd as "out" caused
> the same affect earlier instead of after removing the already emptied
> disk. *frustrating*

Yes and no, that behavior can be used to your advantage when you're
replacing disks. Re-adding that OSD (same ID) should shorten the
rebalancing significantly.

> So would it be possible/recommended to "statically" set the host weight
> as 11 in this case and once removal from crush happens it shouldn't
> cause a rebalance because its already been rebalanced anyway?

I don't think so, but somebody else correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're actually _replacing_ those OSDs and not permanently removing
them, search the ML archives for some tricks (by Craig Lewis IIRC) to
minimize the balancing song and dance.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/