Re: osd crush create-or-move doesn't move things?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Brian Rak <brak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an existing cluster where all the hosts were just added directly, for
> example:
>
> # ceph osd tree
> # id    weight  type name       up/down reweight
> -1      60.06   root default
> -14     1.82            host OSD75
> 12      1.82                    osd.12  up      1
> -15     1.82            host OSD80
> 13      1.82                    osd.13  up      1
> -16     1.82            host OSD83
> 14      1.82                    osd.14  up      1
> -17     1.82            host OSD78
> 15      1.82                    osd.15  up      1
> -18     1.82            host OSD82
> 17      1.82                    osd.17  up      1
> -19     1.82            host OSD84
> 16      1.82                    osd.16  up      1
>

> Ultimately, I'm trying to reconfigure this so I can withstand a failure of a
> rack, without losing data.  I found http://dachary.org/?p=2536 which seemed
> to be pretty helpful in setting this up.
>
> I have the OSDs set to pull their location via 'osd crush location hook'
> script.  This appears to work properly, as the output properly lists the
> configured rack:
>
> === osd.20 ===
> create-or-move updated item name 'osd.20' weight 1.82 at location
> {host=OSD81,rack=rack1,root=default} to crush map
> Starting Ceph osd.20 on OSD81...
>
> However, I don't see OSD81 appear under the rack in the 'ceph osd tree'
> output.  The only way I can get this to happen is if I manually move the
> OSD, with 'ceph osd crush move OSD81 rack=rack1'.
>
> Am I wrong in expecting that 'create-or-move' would handle this without
> manual intervention?  If so, what moves will 'create-or-move' handle
> automatically?  I have enough nodes that manually moving them all to the
> proper place would be time consuming.

create-or-move creates the osd within the most specific bucket
specified (host, in your case), and will move the osd if it exists in
a different bucket, but it doesn't move any of the buckets to match.
You'll have to invoke crush move for those.
-Greg