Re: RBD backup and snapshot

I'm also interested in this question. Can any body give some view point?
I wonder *Do* we really need backup the image through snapshot in an excellent performance, reliability and scalability distributed file system?

Hi,

I'm currently creating a business case around ceph RBD, and one of the issues revolves around backup.

After having a look at http://ceph.com/dev-notes/incremental-snapshots-with-rbd/ I was thinking on creating hourly snapshots (corporate policy) on the original cluster (replicated pool), and then copying these snapshots to a replica cluster (EC pool) located offsite.

After some time we would delete the original snapshot (weeks to months), but we would need to maintain the replica for a lot more time (years).

Will this solution work properly? Can we keep a huge amount of snapshots of a RBD? Potentially for each RBD in the tens of thousands, with hundreds of thousands possible? Has anyone been through these scenarios?

Regards
Frank Yu