From: Sage Weil [mailto:sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: den 12 januari 2015 15:46
To: Sahlstrom, Claes
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Replace corrupt journal

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015, Sahlstrom, Claes wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a problem starting a couple of OSDs because of the journal
> being corrupt. Is there any way to replace the journal and keeping the
> rest of the OSD intact.

It is risky at best... I would not recommend it!  The safe route is to wipe the OSD and let the cluster repair.

>     -1> 2015-01-11 16:02:54.475138 7fb32df86900 -1 journal Unable to
> read past sequence 8188178 but header indicates the journal has
> committed up through 8188206, journal is corrupt
>
>      0> 2015-01-11 16:02:54.479296 7fb32df86900 -1 os/FileJournal.cc:
> In function 'bool FileJournal::read_entry(ceph::bufferlist&, uint64_t&, bool*)'
> thread 7fb32df86900 time 2015-01-11 16:02:54.475276
>
> os/FileJournal.cc: 1693: FAILED assert(0)

Do you mind making a note that you saw this on this ticket:

	http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/6003

We see it periodically in QA but have never been able to track it down.
It could also be caused by a hardware issue, so any information about whether the journal device appears damanged would be helpful.

Thanks!
sage