Re: Monitors and read/write latency

Monitors are in charge of the CRUSH map. When ever there is a change
to the CRUSH map, an OSD goes down, a new OSD is added, PGs are
increased, etc, the monitor(s) builds a new CRUSH map and distributes
it to all clients and OSDs. Once the client has the CRUSH map, it does
not need to contact the monitor for placement or retrieval of an
object because any object's locate can be computed by the
client.[1][2]

Having your monitors on a 1 Gb link may be just fine based on the
number of OSDs you have and what things look like when you are doing
backfills. It is suggested that the monitors have very fast disks as
it makes sure things are committed to disk before sending new maps to
clients/OSDs.

[1] http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/crush-map/
[2] http://ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/#scalability-and-high-availability