Re: Different disk usage on different OSDs

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 23:41:17 +0400 ivan babrou wrote:

> Rebalancing is almost finished, but things got even worse:
> http://i.imgur.com/0HOPZil.png

Looking at that graph only one OSD really kept growing and growing,
everything else seems to be a lot denser, less varied than before, as one
would have expected.

Since I don't think you mentioned it before, what version of Ceph are you
using and how are your CRUSH tunables set?

> Moreover, one pg is in active+remapped+wait_backfill+backfill_toofull
> state:
>
> 2015-01-05 19:39:31.995665 mon.0 [INF] pgmap v3979616: 5832 pgs: 23
> active+remapped+wait_backfill, 1
> active+remapped+wait_backfill+backfill_toofull, 2
> active+remapped+backfilling, 5805 active+clean, 1
> active+remapped+backfill_toofull; 11210 GB data, 26174 GB used, 18360
> GB / 46906 GB avail; 65246/10590590 objects degraded (0.616%)
>
> So at 55.8% disk space utilization ceph is full. That doesn't look very
> well.

Indeed it doesn't.

At this point you might want to manually lower the weight of that OSD
(probably have to change the osd_backfill_full_ratio first to let it
settle).

Thanks to Robert for bringing up the that blueprint for Hammer, lets
hope it makes it in and gets backported.

I sure hope somebody from the Ceph team will pipe up, but here's what I
think is happening:
You're using radosgw and I suppose many files are so similar named that
they wind up clumping on the same PGs (OSDs).

Now what I would _think_ could help with that is striping.

However radosgw doesn't support the full striping options as RBD does.

The only think you can modify is stripe (object) size, which defaults to
4MB. And I bet most of your RGW files are less than that in size, meaning
they wind up on just one PG.

Again, would love to hear something from the devs on this one.

Christian