Re: Worthwhile setting up Cache tier with small leftover SSD partions?

Some low level caching might help, flashcache, dmcache,etc…

But that may hurt the reliability to some extent , and make it harder for operator J

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lindsay Mathieson
Sent: Monday, January 5, 2015 12:14 PM
To: Christian Balzer
Cc: ceph-users
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Worthwhile setting up Cache tier with small leftover SSD partions?

On 5 January 2015 at 13:02, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 06:38:49 +1000 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

If you research the ML archives you will find that cache tiering currently
isn't just fraught with peril (there are bugs) but most importantly isn't
really that fast.

Yah, I had wondered that. Also  it seems to involve a lot of manual tinkering with the crush map which I really want to avoid.

Also given your setup, you should be able to saturate your network now, so
probably negating the need for super fast storage to some extent.

Agreed - now I have it installed and configured, performance all round has vastly improved - user are already commenting that their VM's are much more responsive.

Pretty sure that we are now at a stage where I can just leave it alone :)

Though the boss now wants to migrate the big ass vsphere server to proxmox (KVM), so I could use it as a third OSD server ,,,

Thanks for the help, much appreciated,