From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Eneko Lacunza
Sent: 30 December 2014 10:56
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Block and NAS Services for Non Linux OS

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the list.

On 30/12/14 11:47, Steven Sim wrote:
> This is my first posting and I apologize if the content or query is
> not appropriate.
>
> My understanding for CEPH is the block and NAS services are through
> specialized (albeit opensource) kernel modules for Linux.
>
> What about the other OS e.g. Solaris, AIX, Windows, ESX ...
>
> If the solution is to use a proxy, would using the MON servers (as
> iSCSI and NAS proxies) be okay?
Virtual machines see a QEMU IDE/SCSI disk, they don't know whether its on
ceph, NFS, local, LVM, ... so it works OK for any VM guest SO.

Currently on Proxmox, it's qemu-kvm the ceph (RBD) client, not the linux
kernel.

> What about performance?

It depends a lot on the setup. Do you have something on your mind? :)

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico