Re: HEALTH_WARN 29 pgs degraded; 29 pgs stuck degraded; 133 pgs stuck unclean; 29 pgs stuck undersized;

I too dislike the fact that it's not "native" (ie developed inside the
Linux Kernel), and this is why I'm not sure this project is a good
solution.

The userbase is necessarily much lower it would be if this was native,
so less tests, less feedbacks, and potentially less security.

When I use ZFS on FreeBSD, I know it's widely used and tested.

Since you can have multiple backend FS for your OSD inside a Ceph
cluster, what I do know is a mix between your alternatives 1 and 2.

XFS for now, and upgrade to BTRFS once it is ready.

On a test cluster (1 MON, 6 OSDs), I started with XFS (for a few
months), then moved it to BTRFS (without losing a single bit) for a few
months, then had a problem with BTRFS snapshots (without playing with
any kind of snapshot in Ceph, weird), then moved it back to XFS (without
losing a single bit).

--
Thomas Lemarchand
Cloud Solutions SAS - Responsable des systèmes d'information

On lun., 2014-12-29 at 23:20 +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:22:34 +0100 Thomas Lemarchand wrote:
>
> > Hi Christian,
> >
> > Sure ZFS is way more mature than Btrfs, but what is ZFS status in
> > Linux ?
> >
> > I use ZFS on FreeBSD (72TB - 12 disks (2 vdevs RaidZ2) for backup
> > purposes) and it works great, but it's something I would be afraid to do
> > in Linux.
> >

> You are aware of http://zfsonlinux.org/ ?
>
> And while I dislike the fact that ZFS is not (and probably never will be)
> part of the official Linux kernel tree, this is as good as it gets.
>
> As I see it the alternatives are:
> 1) wait for BTRFS to fully mature (good luck with that)
> 2) use something tried and trusted (I use ext4) and hope that the Ceph
> developers add the missing parts.
> 3) wait for full ZFS support in Ceph.
>
> I'm going with 2 for now and am kinda hoping/waiting for 3.
>
> But as I wrote, even with ZFS as backing storage there would be some
> things like deduplication that need to be handled in Ceph, not the layer
> below.
>
> Christian
> --
> Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer
> chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
> http://www.gol.com/

believed to be clean.