Re: xfs/nobarrier

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> On 28/12/14 15:51, Kyle Bader wrote:
> > > do people consider a UPS + Shutdown procedures a suitable substitute?
> >
> > I certainly wouldn't, I've seen utility power fail and the transfer
> > switch fail to transition to UPS strings. Had this happened to me with
> > nobarrier it would have been a very sad day.
> >

> I'd second that. In addition I've heard of cases where the switchover to the
> UPS worked ok but the damn thing had a flat battery! So the switchover process
> and UPS reliability need to be be well rehearsed + monitored if you want to
> reply on this type of solution.

Right.

nobarrier is definitely *NOT* recommended under almost any circumstances.
Yes, there are some situations where it is safe, but there are so many
things that can go wrong and break it (from buggy kernel to buggy
controller firmware to storage device to power etc) that it is IMO rarely
worth the risk.

sage