Not running multiple services on the same machine?

Hi folks,

I've heard several comments on the mailing list warning against running multiple Ceph services (monitors, daemons, MDS, gateway) on the same machine. I was wondering if someone could shed more light on the dangers of this. In Deis[1] we only require clusters to be 3 machines big, and we need to run monitors, daemons, and MDS servers. Deis runs on CoreOS, so all of our services are shipped as Docker containers. We run Ceph within containers as our store[2] component, so on a single CoreOS host we're running a monitor, daemon, MDS, gateway, and consuming the cluster with a CephFS mount.

I know it's ill-advised, but my question is - why? What sort of issues are we looking at? Data loss, performance, etc.? When I implemented this I was unaware of the recommendation not to do this, and I'd like to address any potential issues now.

Thanks!

Chris

[1]: https://github.com/deis/deis
[2]: https://github.com/deis/deis/tree/master/store