Re: v0.90 released

After apt-get update and upgrade i stil see 0.87 release .. any hint ?

/Zee

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Florent MONTHEL <fmonthel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sage

To be sure to have the good understanding : if I reached the max number of PG per OSD with for example 4 pools, and I have to create 2 new pools without adding OSD, I need to migrate old pools to less PGs pool, right ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 déc. 2014, at 15:39, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Ren? Gallati wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> so I upgraded my cluster from 89 to 90 and now I get:
>>
>> ~# ceph health
>> HEALTH_WARN too many PGs per OSD (864 > max 300)
>>
>> That is a new one. I had too few but never too many. Is this a problem that
>> needs attention, or ignorable? Or is there even a command now to shrink PGs?
>
> It's a new warning.
>
> You can't reduce the PG count without creating new (smaller) pools
> and migrating data.  You can ignore the message, though, and make it go
> away by adjusting the 'mon pg warn max per osd' (defaults to 300).  Having
> too many PGs increases the memory utilization and can slow things down
> when adapting to a failure, but certainly isn't fatal.
>
>> The message did not appear before, I currently have 32 OSDs over 8 hosts and 9
>> pools, each with 1024 PG as was the recommended number according to the OSD *
>> 100 / replica formula, then round to next power of 2. The cluster has been
>> increased by 4 OSDs, 8th host only days before. That is to say, it was at 28
>> OSD / 7 hosts / 9 pools but after extending it with another host, ceph 89 did
>> not complain.
>>
>> Using the formula again I'd actually need to go to 2048PGs in pools but ceph
>> is telling me to reduce the PG count now?
>
> The guidance in the docs is (was?) a bit confusing.  You need to take the
> *total* number of PGs and see how many of those per OSD there are,
> not create as many equally-sized pools as you want.  There have been
> several attempts to clarify the language to avoid this misunderstanding
> (you're definitely not the first).  If it's still unclear, suggestions
> welcome!
>
> sage

Regards

Zeeshan Ali Shah