Re: Number of SSD for OSD journal

Hello,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:43:14 +0100 Florent MONTHEL wrote:

> Thanks all
>
> I will probably have 2x10gb : 1x10gb for client and 1x10gb for cluster
> but I take in charge your recommendation Sebastien
>
> The 200GB SSD will probably give me around 500MB/s sequential bandwidth.
Intel DC S3700 200GB are 365MB/s write.

> So with only 2 SSD I can  overload 1x 10gb network.

Unless you have an unlimited budget (which you obviously don't), you have
to balance cost and performance.
Performance however comes in 2 main flavors here, IOPS and
throughput/bandwidth.

In normal operation, your storage nodes will run out of IOPS long before
they hit the bandwidth limits of your network or storage (both journal SSDs
and HDDs).

During a recovery or other data migration (new OSD) process the bandwidth
becomes a lot more relevant, especially if the cluster isn't otherwise
busy at that time.
Your configuration 1 won't be able to continuously scribble data to the
HDDs faster than the 730MB/s of the 2 Intel SSDs, so it's fine as long as
you keep in mind that one dead (or otherwise unavailable) SSD will take
out 5 OSDs.

Your configuration 2 and 3 will likely benefit from 4 SSDs, not just to
keep the failure domain to sane levels, but also because at least #3
should be able to write faster to the HDDs than 730MB/s.

And let me chime in here with the "Intel DC S3700 SSDs for journals" crowd.
For a cluster here I wound up using 4 100GB ones (200MB/s write) and 8
HDDs, as that was still very affordable while reducing the failure domain
of one SSD to 2 OSDs.

Research the ML archives, but for your #2 and #3 you will also want PLENTY
of CPU power and RAM (page cache avoids a lot of disk seeks and speeds up
things massively on the read side).

Lastly, I have a SSD-less test cluster and can just nod emphatically to
what Craig wrote.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/