Re: Rebuild OSD's

You have a total of 2 OSDs, and 2 disks, right?

The safe method is to mark one OSD out, and wait for the cluster to heal.  Delete, reformat, add it back to the cluster, and wait for the cluster to heal.  Repeat.  But that only works when you have enough OSDs that the cluster can heal.

So you'll have to go the less safe route, and hope you don't suffer a failure in the middle.  I went
this route, because it was taking too long to do the safe route:

    First, setup your ceph.conf with the new osd options.  osd mkfs *, osd journal *, whatever you want the OSDs to look like when you're done.  You may want to set osd max backfills to 1 before you start.  The default value of 10 is really only a good idea if you have a large cluster and SSD journals.

    Remove the disk, format, and put it back in:
    • ceph osd set norecover
    • ceph osd set nobackfill
    • ceph osd out $OSDID
    • sleep 30
    • stop ceph-osd id=$OSDID
    • ceph osd crush remove osd.$OSDID
    • ceph osd lost $OSDID --yes-i-really-mean-it
    • ceph auth del osd.$OSDID
    • ceph osd rm $OSDID
    • ceph-disk-prepare --zap $dev $journal    # ceph-deploy would also work
    • ceph osd unset norecover
    • ceph osd unset nobackfill
    Wait for the cluster to heal, then repeat.

    It's more complicated if you have multiple devices in the zpool and you're using more than a small percentage of the disk space.