Re: Cache tiering and cephfs

I know that it is possible to run CephFS with a cache tier on the data
pool in Giant, because that's what I do. However when I configured it, I
was on the previous release. When I upgraded to Giant, everything just
kept working.

By the way when I set it up, I used the following commmands:

ceph osd pool create cephfs-data 192 192 erasure
ceph osd pool create cephfs-metadata 192 192 replicated ssd
ceph osd pool create cephfs-data-cache 192 192 replicated ssd
ceph osd pool set cephfs-data-cache crush_ruleset 1
ceph osd pool set cephfs-metadata crush_ruleset 1
ceph osd tier add cephfs-data cephfs-data-cache
ceph osd tier cache-mode cephfs-data-cache writeback
ceph osd tier set-overlay cephfs-data cephfs-data-cache
ceph osd dump
ceph mds newfs 5 6 --yes-i-really-mean-it

So actually I didn't add a cache tier to an existing CephFS, but first
made the pools and added CephFS directly after. In my case, the "ssd"
pool is ssd-backed (obviously), while the default pool is on rotating
media; the crush_ruleset 1 is meant to place both the cache pool and the
metadata pool on the ssd's.

Erik.