Re: Reusing old journal block device w/ data causes FAILED assert(0)

Hi,

On Thu Nov 13 2014 at 3:35:55 PM Anthony Alba <ascanio.alba7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ah no.

On 13 Nov 2014 21:49, "Dan van der Ster" <daniel.vanderster@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
Did you mkjournal the reused journal?

   ceph-osd -i $ID --mkjournal

Cheers, Dan

No - however the man page states that "--mkjournal"  is for :
"Create a new journal file to match an existing object repository.  This is useful if the journal device or file is wiped out due to a disk  or file system failure. "

I thought mkfs would create a new OSD and new journal in one shot (the journal device is specified in ceph.conf). In otherwords I do not have "an existing object repository"..

My steps:
ceph.conf:
osd journal = /dev/sdb1
# This was used in a previous experiment so has garbage on it
# /dev/sdc1 is mounted on /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-0

ceph-osd -i 0 --mkfs --mkkey --osd-uuid 123456

At this point it crashes with the FAILED assert.

Do you mean I should run "ceph-osd -i $ID --mkjournal" before the mkfs?

I believe that if you now run
  ceph-osd -i 0 --mkjournal
it will setup /dev/sdb1 correctly to be used as the journal. I'm not sure if mkfs is supposed to do this.

(BTW, using these commands manually is sort of deprecated now anyway -- you can read through ceph-disk to see how to use them correctly).

Cheers, Dan