Re: Typical 10GbE latency

(back to list)

On 11/10/2014 06:57 PM, Gary M wrote:
> Hi Wido,
>
> That is a bit weird.. I'd also check the Ethernet controller firmware
> version and settings between the other configurations. There must be
> something different.

Indeed, there must be something! But I can't figure it out yet. Same
controllers, tried the same OS, direct cables, but the latency is 40%
higher.

> I can understand wanting to do a simple latency test.. But as we get closer
> to hw speeds and microsecond measurements, measures appear to be more
> unstable through software stacks.

I fully agree with you. But a basic ICMP test on a idle machine should
be a baseline from where you can start with further diagnosing network
latency using better tools like netperf.

Wido