Re: Typical 10GbE latency

Don't have yet 10GBE, but here my result my simple lacp on 2 gigabit links with a cisco 6500

(Seem to be lower than your 10gbe nexus)

----- Mail original -----

De: "Wido den Hollander" <wido@xxxxxxxx>
À: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Envoyé: Lundi 10 Novembre 2014 17:22:04
Objet: Re:  Typical 10GbE latency

On 08-11-14 02:42, Gary M wrote:
> Wido,
>
> Take the switch out of the path between nodes and remeasure.. ICMP-echo
> requests are very low priority traffic for switches and network stacks.

I tried with a direct TwinAx and fiber cable. No difference.

> If you really want to know, place a network analyzer between the nodes
> to measure the request packet to response packet latency.. The ICMP
> traffic to the "ping application" is not accurate in the sub-millisecond
> range. And should only be used as a rough estimate.

True, I fully agree with you. But, why is everybody showing a lower
latency here? My latencies are about 40% higher then what I see in this
setup and other setups.

> You also may want to install the high resolution timer patch, sometimes
> called HRT, to the kernel which may give you different results.
>
> ICMP traffic takes a different path than the TCP traffic and should not
> be considered an indicator of defect.

Yes, I'm aware. But it still doesn't explain me why the latency on other
systems, which are in production, is lower then on this idle system.

> I believe the ping app calls the sendto system call.(sorry its been a
> while since I last looked) Systems calls can take between .1us and .2us
> each. However, the ping application makes several of these calls and
> waits for a signal from the kernel. The wait for a signal means the ping
> application must wait to be rescheduled to report the time.Rescheduling
> will depend on a lot of other factors in the os. eg, timers, card
> interrupts other tasks with higher priorities. Reporting the time must
> add a few more systems calls for this to happen. As the ping application
> loops to post the next ping request which again requires a few systems
> calls which may cause a task switch while in each system call.
>
> For the above factors, the ping application is not a good representation
> of network performance due to factors in the application and network
> traffic shaping performed at the switch and the tcp stacks.

I think that netperf is probably a better tool, but that also does TCP
latencies.

I want the real IP latency, so I assumed that ICMP would be the most
simple one.

The other setups I have access to are in production and do not have any
special tuning, yet their latency is still lower then on this new
deployment.

That's what gets me confused.

Wido

Wido den Hollander