Re: Erasure coding parameters change

Hi Loic,

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Loic Dachary <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/11/2014 13:57, Jan Pekař wrote:> Hi,
>>
>> is there any possibility to change erasure coding pool parameters ie k and m values on the fly? I want to add more disks to existing erasure pool and change redundancy level. I cannot find it in docs.
>
> Hi,
>
> It is not possible to change k/m on the fly.

I'm a little confused. Does this mean even if the pool is reported to
be using the updated profile, the one it is actually using is still
the old profile?

>> Changing erasure-code-profile is not working so I assume that is only template for newly created pools.
>> If it is not possible now is it planned in the feature (when)?
>
> Changing these parameters require a re-encoding of all objects. The interim solution is to create another pool and move all the objects from the first pool to the other.

Is there any a easy way to do this transition other than copy these
objects one by one?

If disk space is an issue, a solution might be to define the old pool
as a cache tier and evict its content to the storage tier. I did not
test this though and there may be problems I do not yet see.