Basic Ceph Questions

Morning all ..

I have a simple 3 node 2 osd cluster setup serving VM Images (proxmox). The
two OSD's are on the two VM hosts. Size is set to 2 for replication on both
OSD's. SSD journals.

- if the Ceph Client (VM quest over RBD) is accessing data that is stored on
the local OSD, will it avoid hitting the network and just access the local
drive? From monitoring the network bond that seems to be the case.

- if I added an extra OSD to the local node would that same client then use it
to stripe reads, improving the the read transfer rate?

- Geo Replication - thats done via federated gateways? looks complicated :(
  * The remote slave, it would be read only?

- Disaster strikes, apart from DR backups how easy is it to recover your data
off ceph OSD's? one of the things I liked about gluster was that if I totally
screwed up the gluster masters, I could always just copy the data off the
filesystem. Not so much with ceph.

- Am I abusing ceph? :) I just have a small 3 node VM server cluster with 20
windows VM;s, some servers, some VDI. The shared store is a QNAP nas which is
struggling. I'm using ceph for
- Shared Storage
- Replication/Redundancy
- Improved performance

Its serving all of this, but the complexity concerns me sometimes.

Thanks,
--
Lindsay